1/4 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 red onion, roughly chopped
3 lbs tomatoes, cores removed, chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
A bunch of kale, stems removed, torn into pieces
A handful of basil, plus extra to garnish
A few fresh oregano leaves, plus extra to garnish
2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
4-5 summer squash, cut into large chunks (medium zucchini or gold bar)
A pint of cherry tomatoes
1. To make the ragout, heat olive oil in a heavy-based pot on medium heat. Sauté the onions and garlic until softened (2 minutes). Add tomatoes, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until sauce has thickened (about 15 minutes).
2. Remove from heat. Add kale, basil and oregano and vinegar. Stir to wilt through and check seasoning. Set aside.
3. Place cut squash in a large bowl with 2 tbsp olive oil and a decent pinch of salt. Toss to combine.
4. Heat a grill or frying pan on high heat and cook squash, charring lightly, until it is just cooked.
5. Repeat process for tomatoes, cooking until they just start to burst.
6. To serve, place the ragout in a serving dish. Top with charred squash and tomatoes. Garnish with additional basil and oregano. Season to taste.